Yeah, I am talking about this old fashion home décor, that you probably dont pay attention to. But What I want to introduce you to is, Romanian lace porcelain !
Yes, you read right, lace porcelain ! Romanians from Transylvania, did invented à unique way of porcelain. It’s called lace porcelain. It it is strong, unique, original and actually funky.
- The porcelain lace was created in Cluj (big City in Transylvania)
- It had his 15 min of fame in the 50s and 60s
- A quite period for lace porcelain followed till the 90s where it’s production was picked up with Moga Porcelain
- Each pièce is trully hand made
- It’s actually called in Romania Basket porcelain – One of the first pièces using this technique was a basket
Once the porcelain is created, it gets to stop by another artist. Now the porcelain gets painted.
Traditional motives are flowers of course, but also landscapes. I prefer the floral design more.
It also comes simple in classic white.
I think that in the piece above, you can see clearly the Romanian Point Lace connection.
Clearly the lace came first, but in this case to copy one particular lace/design and actually making it another important part of a cultural identity is amazing.
You can easy get inspired to create a Romanian Point Lace Doily just by looking at the piece above.
Many women in Romania , actually did exactly that. Now if you ask, but What about the painted centre ?
Oh well creativity knows no limit! The centre was turned into an embroidery.
I can imagine easily each lace doily to be a lace porcelain, plate, bowl, Tray, basket, vase, etc….
I hope you enjoy to know about lace porcelain!
Comment below and let me know how you like it.